Friday, February 18, 2011

World war 2 story

`When my grandfather first told me that he served in World War 2, I was very young, and didn’t know what to think. Now that I am older I understand what he was telling me about, and how he flew P51 mustang in the fight against Hitler in Germany. He told me about stories how when he had an enemy Messerschmitt, a German air plane with high firepower, but known for being slow. The US air force was taught if they were to have a Messerschmitt on their tail, they would fly into the sun, because The P51 mustang’s engine was the fastest and most powerful at the time. He told me that one time when he was low on gas, he was forced to drop his entire arsenal of bombs because it weighed too much. He said for fun, he would drop his bombs on the cows of France, in the pastures. My grandfather was a first lieutenant in the united states air force, his story not only changed how I felt about war, but gave me an insight at an early age on how messed up war can be. He was often in dogfights with enemy pilots; he explained that he and his co-pilot would have to use their lock on missiles to defeat the planes. This story gave me a new respect for what he did, as well as a awe as to how weird and unpredictable war could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment